16 Signal Regiment enjoys a complex history dating back to circa 1924, in WW11 it was known as GHQ Signals. Throughout its long history the Regiment ( in whatever guise ) has always been employed in support of up to Army Group levels. GHQ Signals traces its origin back to a collection of units raised in Glasgow on the formation of the Supplementary Reserve in 1924  ...................

1939 GHQ Signal Regiment mobilised and sent to France with the BEF.

1940 Evacuated along with the remains of BEF from Dunkirk.

1941 Renamed No 1 HQ Signals Regiment in London with responsibility for GHQ Home Forces communications.

1943 Renamed 21st Army Group Signal Regiment involved in planning for Operation OVERLORD, provided communications from Normandy beachheads, through Belgium, Holland and Germany. After the war it provided communications for military government of the British Zone of Occupied Germany.

1945 After changing its name to HQ BAOR Signals on 10th September 1945 its name changed to No 1 HQ Signals. The Regiment now began to look rather like 16 Signal Regiment of following decades. Strength of regiment 2000 personnel spread through 73 Troops and Sections.

1946 On 15th October after more restructuring No 2 (Line of Communications) Regiment reappeared.

1948 15th June regiment was again re-titled HQ BAOR Signal Regiment.

1951 Based in Hereford, after further reorganisations with relative peace and stability throughout the late 40's and the 50's , in January 1958 the Regiment moved to Krefeld.

1958 RHQ of No 2 Regt. together with 1 and 2 Sqns. move into Bradbury Bks. Krefeld.

1958 No 2 (Line of Communications) Regiment became 16 Signal Regiment (Line of Communications).

1960 Designated 16 Signal Regiment (BAOR) in Bradbury Bks. Krefeld. Commanding Officer, Lt. Col Burke R Sigs. The suffix (BAOR) was dropped shortly afterwards. First members of 60s 16er's

1961 45 Signal Regiment (TA) becomes sister regiment.

1964 Issue of Radio Stations D11/R230 & Radio Relay Stations C41's and 1+4's.

1967 Issue of BRUIN communication equipment. As a local arrangement the Crest of the City of Krefeld was adopted as Regimental Badge. Prior to and from 1947 to 1962 the Crusader's sword in yellow set on a red cross, superimposed on a dark blue shield (Reverse colours of the former 21 Army Group badge), was the Regimental Badge. Under restructuring 45 Signal Regiment disbanded, and redeployed as a Sig. Sqn. no longer allied with 16 Signal Regiment.

1970 Last of the 60s 16er's serving with the regiment.

1972 Granted 'Freedom of Krefeld'.

1987 Issue of PTARMIGAN communication equipment.

1990 Operation Granby ( Gulf).

1994 Regiment moves to JHQ Rheindahlen.

1995 Operation Resolute ( Bosnia).

1996 June 16-18 Inaugural reunion of the the 60s 16er's ( The 1960's 16 Signal Regiment incl. HQ BAOR Sig Tp. Reunion Club ).

1997 230 Signal Squadron returns under command from 7 Signal Regiment. 60s 16er's visit regiment as part of 1997 reunion held in Krefeld.

1999 Operation AGRICOLA ( Macedonia/Kosova ). Regiment awarded new insignia (SEE TOP RIGHT)

2000 September 1st to 4th, 60s 16er's fifth annual reunion held in Rheindahlen.